Expiring messages was: Re: .agentview and .overview

From: Cecil Westerhof
Subject: Expiring messages was: Re: .agentview and .overview
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 08:08:04 +0100

Nicolas KOWALSKI <niko@petole.demisel.net> writes:

>> Bye the way a bigger problem is expire. Sometimes I have to wait half a
>> minute to a minute going to another folder. Maybe it would be better to
>> do the expiring not always? Say at most once a day.
>
> Sure, I have this in my ~/.gnus to disable expiration when leaving a
> group, and make gnus run expiration in all groups every four hour
> after it has been idle for 1 hour.
>
> ;;
> ;; Remove expiration hooks run when leaving a group to speed up usage
> ;; Expiration process will run with demon, see below
> ;;
> (remove-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook
>                    'gnus-summary-expire-articles)

That makes a lot off difference. Thanks.

> ;;
> ;; Automatically expire groups every 4 hours
> ;; when gnus has been idle for more than 1 hour
> ;;
> (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-group-expire-all-groups 240 60)

I changed this to:
    (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-group-expire-all-groups "01:40" 60)

It takes a little more as a minute and I am not only using GNUS. Would
be annoying when I am editting a file and I can not do anything because
GNUS is expiring. Once a day is more as enough and I hope not to be
working around 01:40. ;-}

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer