gnus-dired does not use gnus anymore bug or feature

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: gnus-dired does not use gnus anymore bug or feature
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:38:27 +0100

Hello

In ngnus-0.11 gnus-dired behaved as I expected, after marking a file in
dired and using gnus-dired-attach a gnus message buffer popped up with
the file in question attached.

Not so in recent gnus-cvs. When I use  gnus-dired-attach
VM is started. [1]

Now I looked at gnus-dired.el and there is the following change

        (if (eq gnus-dired-mail-mode 'gnus-user-agent)
            (gnus-setup-message 'message (message-mail))
          ;; FIXME: Is this the right thing?
          (compose-mail))
is changed to
        (let ((mail-user-agent gnus-dired-mail-mode)
              ;; A workaround to prevent Gnus from displaying the Gnus
              ;; logo when invoking this command without loading Gnus.
              ;; Gnus demonstrates it when gnus.elc is being loaded if
              ;; a command of which the name is prefixed with "gnus"
              ;; causes that autoloading.  See the code in question,
              ;; that is the one first found in gnus.el by performing
              ;; `C-s this-command'.
              (this-command (if (eq gnus-dired-mail-mode 'gnus-user-agent)
                                'gnoose-dired-attach
                              this-command)))
          (compose-mail))

And that does not work as expected. So I can undo that change but I
would like to hear opinions about this recent change.

thanks

Uwe Brauer

Footnotes:
[1]  I really loved VM but have given it up quite a while ago.