Re: Change in splitting from emacs 22/gnus 5.11 and emacs 23/gnus 5.13?

From: Frank Fredstone
Subject: Re: Change in splitting from emacs 22/gnus 5.11 and emacs 23/gnus 5.13?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 12:52:22 -0800

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 11:37:23 -0800 Frank Fredstone <none@not.no> wrote:
>
> FF> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>>> On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 13:56:52 -0800 Frank Fredstone <none@not.no> wrote:
> FF> Now, the first time I ran gnus from emacs 23, it moved all messages
> FF> from nnimap+asdf:INBOX to nnml+mail:inbox, or in other words it
> FF> emptied /var/spool/user, and stored them in nnml+mail:inbox, so my
> FF> imap inbox is not empty.

I meant  to type "my imap inbox is NOW empty".

>>> You can set nnimap-split-inbox to something else if you want INBOX to be
>>> left alone.  Then you can keep your nnmail-split-methods.  You can also
>>> specify different (or nil) split rules per nnimap server (see
>>> `nnimap-split-rule') so it won't fall back to nnmail-split-methods IIRC.
>
> FF> Okay, nnimap-split-inbox was unset, which I read means it will not do
> FF> splitting, which is what I want. I've tried setting it:
>
> FF> (setq nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX")
>
> FF> Then it still emptied my mbox file, but I don't know what it did with
> FF> the email.
>
> Wait, I'm confused.  Is Gnus emptying the IMAP INBOX folder or something
> else ("mbox file")?  You say two different things in your original
> post when you say "in other words" so I need you to clarify.

Sorry. Gnus is doing both.

I use fetchmail and exim which put email in /var/spool/user. Dovecot
stores INBOX in that same file, the mbox file. For other folders it
stores to maildir files.

This worked fine with emacs 22 and gnus. Now, with emacs 23.1, when I
start gnus, with nnimap-split-inbox unset, the messages that were in
the mbox file are stored in nnml+mail:inbox. The result is that my
imap inbox is empty.

With nnimap-split-inbox set, the result is that the imap inbox is
empty and I haven't found where the messages go.