Re: Change in splitting from emacs 22/gnus 5.11 and emacs 23/gnus 5.13?

From: Frank Fredstone
Subject: Re: Change in splitting from emacs 22/gnus 5.11 and emacs 23/gnus 5.13?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 11:37:23 -0800

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 13:56:52 -0800 Frank Fredstone <none@not.no> wrote:
>
> FF> I use dovecot imapd with both an mbox for INBOX and maildir for other
> FF> folders, and I use sieve to split email into maildir folders.
>
> FF> In .gnus.el I have:
>
> FF> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
> FF>     '((nnml "mail")
> FF>           (nnimap "asdf"
> FF>                           (nnimap-address "localhost")
> FF>                           (nnimap-server-port 143)
> FF>                           (nnimap-stream network))))
>
> FF> and I have left over from before I was using imap:
>
> FF> (setq nnmail-split-methods
> FF>       '(("junk" "Subject:.*urgent")
> FF>         ("inbox" "")))
>
> FF> It used to be that messages in my imap inbox were stored in
> nnimap+asdf:INBOX.
>
> FF> Now, the first time I ran gnus from emacs 23, it moved all messages
> FF> from nnimap+asdf:INBOX to nnml+mail:inbox, or in other words it
> FF> emptied /var/spool/user, and stored them in nnml+mail:inbox, so my
> FF> imap inbox is not empty.
>
> FF> I don't remember if I had a reason to keep the nnml secondary select
> FF> method. Should I just remove it and remove the nnmail split methods,
> FF> to get it to ignore /var/spool/user and read nnimap+asdf:INBOX
> FF> instead?
>
> FF> Also, if I make a copy of my ~/Mail directory that email creates, can
> FF> I restore my email from it if I screw something up, i.e. can I use
> FF> gnus to read the email from the copied directory and put it back into
> FF> my imap store?
>
> You can set nnimap-split-inbox to something else if you want INBOX to be
> left alone.  Then you can keep your nnmail-split-methods.  You can also
> specify different (or nil) split rules per nnimap server (see
> `nnimap-split-rule') so it won't fall back to nnmail-split-methods IIRC.

Okay, nnimap-split-inbox was unset, which I read means it will not do
splitting, which is what I want. I've tried setting it:

(setq nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX")

Then it still emptied my mbox file, but I don't know what it did with
the email.

Since I can't be losing email, I will stick with emacs 22 for a while
I guess, while I try to figure out a way to experiment with this
without losing real email.

> You can read mail from any valid directory or file as you'd expect.
> Just make a new backend, nnmail or nnmaildir or any other that makes
> sense.  Within each backend, you can visit a group and copy or move
> articles to another backend+group.

Thanks.