Re: Password sending mail only once

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Password sending mail only once
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 15:31:46 -0600

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 14:13:06 +0100 Torben Knudsen <tk@es.aau.dk> wrote:

TK> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 08:24:04 +0200 Torben Knudsen <tk@es.aau.dk> wrote:
>>
TK> Some time ago I was asked for a password when sending mail only the
TK> first time in a gnus session.  Now I am asked every time I send a
TK> mail.
>>
TK> How can I get back to only given the password once?
>>
TK> I prefer solutions with out storing password anywhere.  Given it once
TK> is what I prefer.
>>
TK> I have found some info on the net but nothing I could handle with my
TK> limited skills.
>>
>> I think you want to `M-x customize-group password'
>>
>> Specifically, `password-cache' and `password-cache-expiry'
>>
>> This is, I believe, what's used by smtpmail.el if it can't get the
>> password from auth-source.  I encourage you to use auth-source instead,
>> though.  You'd be storing the password in a PGP-encrypted file and you
>> can use the same file for IMAP, POP3, NNTP, etc. passwords.

TK> I am trying the below
... omitted for brevity ...
TK> ; To avoid password on sending end

Try this (I just put something like this together recently for Richard
Riley in this group):

(require 'epa-file)
(require 'auth-source)
(require 'cl)
(epa-file-enable)
(setq auth-source-debug t ; use `message' to log messages
      epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t
      auth-sources '((:source "~/.authinfo.gpg" :host t :protocol t)))
(auth-source-user-or-password "login" "yourserver.com" "smtp")

...but you need to have the ~/.authinfo.gpg file.  Do you?

If it's set up properly, the last line should give you the user name
you've specified in your authinfo file.  If you say "password" instead
of "login" you'll get the password.  See the auth-source Info manual
that comes with Emacs 23.1 and newer if you have trouble setting the
authinfo file up.

TK> However, I didn't have auth-sources in my path so I changed to the
TK> above.  Now also I don't have epa-file.el and I can't find it.  Where
TK> can I download it ?

You should have it if you're running a recent Emacs.  23.1 should work.

TK> Moreover, is the above at all right?  I have just paste it from
TK> somewhere but I dont really know what it is doing.

It's always better to understand things, but I realize you just want it
to work.  Thanks for being patient.

Ted