Re: gnus xemacs gentoo starting problems

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: gnus xemacs gentoo starting problems
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:32:39 +0900

> Gentoo has xemacs-base as 2.19 and gnus has been working fine in the past,

> http://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/packages/

> has xemacs-base as 2.19 13 Jan 09 This could hardly be called recent
> being a year old and is straight from the xemacs site. What version is
> the latest xemacs-base? However it is masked in gentoo which would be
> using 2.10 in the stable branch.

xemacs-base 2.10 is new enough for building Gnus, I believe.  My
second guess is that your XEmacs doesn't know the path in which
timer-funcs.elc can be found.  Consult the result of the following
operations:

$ cd /home/*****/ngnus-0.6/
$ ./configure --with-emacs=xemacs-21.4.22
$ xemacs-21.4.22 -batch -no-autoloads -l lisp/dgnushack.el -eval '(message "%s"
load-path)'

Is there the directory in which the xemacs-base package has been
installed?  Or isn't there an old xemacs-base directory that shadows
the new one?

> I have just downloaded the xemacs-base 2.19 from the above

Probably you have to upgrade not only the xemacs-base package but
also all the other packages.  FYI, the most recent XEmacs packages
that have not been packed into SUMO yet are in:

ftp://ftp.xemacs.org/xemacs/beta/experimental/packages/
or http://ftp.xemacs.org/xemacs/beta/experimental/packages/