Re: SMTP over SSL

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: SMTP over SSL
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:45:31 -0000

On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 15:18:23 +0300, Jarmo wrote:

> I've played with this for quite a while, and I don't know how to fix it.

> My ISP provides SMTP over SSL on the SMTP server smtp.welho.com on port
> 465. I know this, because running

> openssl s_client -crlf -connect smtp.welho.com:465

> gives me a lot of TLS/SSL info and then an SMTP prompt.

Do you want to use TLS or SSL? It looks like you are testing SSL but you
are trying to use TLS.

If you want to test TLS, something like this should do it:

  $ openssl s_client -starttls smtp -connect smtp.welho.com:465

(maybe you need another port, like port 25).

> When I change the port to the default (insecure) 25, everything works
> fine.

Port 25 _with starttls_ is not insecure.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Sunday morning when the rain begins to fall                 Adam Sjøgren
  I've got the cure for it all"                          asjo@koldfront.dk