w3m renderer is exceedingly slow on large message

From: Sean McAfee
Subject: w3m renderer is exceedingly slow on large message
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:46:38 -0000

I've recently started using Gnus to read my mail at work.  A few times a
day I get sent somewhat large HTML documents, typically around 800Kb in
size, containing mostly tables.  With mm-text-html-renderer set to w3m,
Gnus takes upwards of thirty seconds to render these messages.  Is that
supposed to happen?  If I save the message and apply the w3m program to
it on the command line, it finishes in less than a second.

I just now tried setting the renderer to w3m-standalone, and now the
large messages render quickly, but as plain text, without hyperlinks,
coloring, or fancy table borders.