Gnus and rsync

From: Nuno J. Silva
Subject: Gnus and rsync
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:46:44 -0000

So I've now hit the issue where I have two computers on which I want to
keep gnus stuff on-sync.

I've tried the simple solution: rsyncing the whole bunch of files (news,
mail, .gnus.el, and some other gnus files.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work as expected: in some mail folders the
unread messages are months old, perhaps from the time the mail files
were on the computer I want to sync to (or even before that - in a
nutshell: my Gnus files have flied through several machines several
times (but I had no trouble with that)).

I plan to look at this deeply (like, seeing if the messages are actually
there, if something differs from a plain tar+scp+untar, and some other
forensics), but I'd like to know if anyone has already experienced
anything like this.

The backend possibly matters: it's nnmaildir.

--
Nuno J. Silva
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg