All articles loaded when entering a group.

From: Brett Viren
Subject: All articles loaded when entering a group.
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 15:44:59 -0500

Hi,

I sent this request for help a few weeks ago but it looks like it
never showed up (I posted through gmane).  My apologies if it did.

I've been introducing some new elements into my use of Gnus and it has
led to some problems.  I hope someone can give me some pointers as to
how they can be fixed.

First, my setup:

I get email delivered to my workstation through procmail which writes
out to ~/Maildir/.  These folders are served via IMAP (Dovecot) to
nnimap.

I also read email on my laptop which also runs a Dovecot server
serving the local ~/Maildir/.  The two are synced with OfflineIMAP in
IMAP-to-IMAP mode.  (I use the trick of overriding
imaputil.flagsmaildir2imap so I can sync gnus-expire, gnus-dormant,
gnus-forward and gnus-save flags).

I also use Notmuch to index both copies, but I don't think this is
involved in my problem.

Okay, the problem is that sometime during this migration Gnus changed
its behavior as to how it would enter a group.  Normally, I hit ENTER
on a group and only new or marked articles will be loaded.  Now,  Gnus
want to retrieve *all* articles as if I am dong C-u ENTER.  For
example, entering my "default" group prompts me with:

  How many articles from nnimap+bnl:default (default 21186):

I can enter a smaller number but if I have some marked article I want
to get back to I have to guess how far back it might be.

Does anyone have a clue as to why this change of behavior happened
and, more importantly, how I can figure out how to fix it?

Much thanks,
-Brett.