Re: Gnus and new mail notification

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Gnus and new mail notification
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 10:25:22 +0100

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@users.sf.net> writes:

>>> Not if you dont use the demon and then split when you hit g. In other
>>> words you only fetch your mail when gnubiff or something similar tells
>>> you that you have new mail.
>>
>> Concrete example: if splitting includes spam rules, gnubiff will notify
>> you of spam too.
>>

> Yes that is most certainly true. Since I use googlemail I'm kind of
> spoiled as their spam filtering server side is pretty good these days
> (that and my spam-split set up doesnt work anymore on NoGnus) and so I
> turned off client side "spam-split"ting.

If you use gmail, you can have easy mail notification with:

https://mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom

It give you an xml buffer you have to parse.

A library exists on emacswiki for this, don't remember the name, it
didn't work for me so i wrote small code for this for my personal use, i
can send it if interested.
Of course if one use gnus-demon, it's non--sense to use this.

--
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key: