Re: my vs maildir

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: my vs maildir
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 03:33:22 +0100

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> our imap server stores mail in maildir.
> i get them through claws-mail and save them locally as mh (because
> that's what claws does).
> however, i understand that with gnus i have a choice.
>
> is maildir preferable to mh as far as indexers are concerned?
> does gnus prefer working with maildir as well? (i recall reading that
> nnml is faster than nnmh though i don't know if that has anything to do
> with maildir).
>
> this exercise is to establish the local storage format for emails over
> several years so they can be indexed for the purpose of search and retrieval.

Move them all into the imap server (dovecot for example). You could do
that with Gnus! It does the indexing for you with fts_squat I think it
is and nnir. I dont know the details, I just know it works
well. Certainly less hassle than Mairix. How the imap server stores it
should be immaterial to you I think. (Dovecot can and does store it as
maildir but I cant comment on the advisability of accessing the dovecot
maildir directly): then simply configure an IMAP connection to local
host and/or remote imap host.