Re: citation line above or below body?

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: citation line above or below body?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:22:34 +0100

Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> writes:

> ---8<---[snipped 27 lines: everything :p]---8<---
>
> Well I tend to leave in just the parts I'm directly answering/referring
> to, which is usually the outermost level of citation. If someone wants
> to follow a thread, he can do just that - read the thread.
> When the whole conversation is quoted each time, it just gets messy,
> IMHO.

Agreed and no one said the lot should be left : hence the cursor
position at the top to encourage reread and snipping. Something I do
tend to do but forget as well , not often but it happens - as do most
people at some stage.

> And as you're saying yourself Richard, people just get fed up with
> having to «cherrypick» through every message and simply "M->", quoting the
> whole thing.

> Feel free to disagree if you prefer a different approach, I'm always
> curious!

No one would disagree that courteous snipping is a boon! Overly snipping
is a hindrance in many groups were people dont keep a local copy and
things can expire though. If any part of a reply refers to something
snipped it is, of course, somewhat annoying to have to traverse the
thread tree to see what it might be referring to.

All in all I think we agree. The main crux of my comment though, which
you snipped ;), was the part about *why* the cursor is where it is. I
think it makes sense.

In this case you oversnipped and for my comments to make sense I need to
put some context back in :-

I originally said this:-

,----
| Its this way on purpose I would guess to encourage people to snip and to
| review context.
`----

The one thing I must admit I dont like is the non standard "supercite"
or whatever its called - I find the insertion of the authors initials on
the left hand side totally non standard and very "busy on the eyes" - it
almost drags your attention away from the thread itself. But all to
their own.

regards

r.