Re: M-x gnus-bug RET

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: M-x gnus-bug RET
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 17:07:46 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 15:39:46 +0100 David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> DK> Is there a particular rationale that the command gnus-bug sends mail to
> DK> a mailing list that nobody reads?
>
> DK> That does not seem to make much sense.
>
> It should work properly, yeah.  But the mail delivery for
> bugs@gnus.org should be fixed if it's broken instead of using some
> other address.

I did not say it is broken.  Just that nobody reads it.

Looking at <URL:news://news.gnus.org/gnus.gnus-bug> now, I see that my
mail appeared there, and also that there are several other people
discussing things on that feed, including you.  So it would appear that
somebody reads some things appearing there.  So this particular
complaint of mine apparently is not founded in reality.

> (Although it may be nice to (defalias 'gnus-bug 'emacs-bug) :)

I am not sure in general.  The problem here is that even after
bootstrapping Emacs, message.el barfs upon encountering case constructs
during run-time.  It _does_ have the equivalent of
(eval-when-compile (require 'cl)) at the front of the file.  I am not
versed well enough in the mess that cl is to actually know whether this
is a bug in message.el or a bug in cl.el or a bug elsewhere.

People having loaded cl by default would likely not notice.

--
David Kastrup