Re: Marking an article and unmarking it to read

From: Angel de Vicente
Subject: Re: Marking an article and unmarking it to read
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 19:14:48 +0100

Hi,

Štěpán Němec <stepnem@gmail.com> writes:
>> What do you think the problem can be for having the 'r' mark?
>
> Well, what can I say? I don't think anything. I just pointed out that
> your suggestion does not provide a solution for the problem raised.
>
> Granted, if you don't use any functionality that distinguishes between
> `gnus-read-mark' and `gnus-del-mark' (such as scoring), you might not
> care about the difference, but that doesn't make your suggestion any
> more correct. They're still two different marks.

Well, the suggestion to use 'd' was not originally mine (it was
Alberto's), though I use it as well.

I do not use scoring, and I've been using Gnus only for about two
months, so there is still plenty that I have to learn. I was just
curious to learn in what sort of scenario it would be useful to
distinguish between 'gnus-del-mark' and 'gnus-read-mark'.

Certainly to me it looks a bit too much that there are so many marks for
marking an article as "read", but the OP asked:

  "I would like to mark it as read when it removes the '!'"

and the documentation for 'r' says:

  "These are articles that the user has marked as read with the `d'
   command manually, more or less (`gnus-del-mark').",

so besides that "more or less", it looks like a pretty good fit to me :-)
--
Ángel de Vicente
http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com/