Re: Marking an article and unmarking it to read

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: Marking an article and unmarking it to read
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 23:57:20 +0200

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 23:17:34 +0200
Angel de Vicente wrote:

> So far the base for all my Gnus knowledge has been only its
> documentation, and section 3.7.2 says:
>
> "All the following marks mark articles as read.", and then goes on to
> mention 12 marks, with the following comment: "All these marks just mean
> that the article is marked as read, really.  They are interpreted
> differently when doing adaptive scoring, though."
>
> Hence my comment about the number of "read" marks.

Right. But as I mentioned in my previous reply, there are different
notions of "read". If you're going with the definition above, you could
just as well mark the articles as killed or caught up. It's really the
same as `d' in that sense.

> I will look at the scoring stuff, to see if I make sense of the
> difference and understand if I'm missing something that might be useful
> for me. Until now my workflow is just:

[...]

> This has worked for me until now, but I'm sure I can streamline the
> process, so I will look at the scoring stuff again...

Well, just use whatever works for you, I see nothing wrong with that.
After all, even if you _do_ use adaptive scoring, you can define the
behaviour for all the marks yourself, so if you want you can make
`gnus-del-mark' mean "this was a great article, gimme more of that".

What I do take issue with is suggesting marking articles using `d' to
someone asking the question Paulo asked. ;-)

--
Štěpán