using gnus-slave

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: using gnus-slave
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 22:34:18 -0500

I've used gnus-slave off and on for yrs but have never really
understood how it is supposed to be employed/

Is it expected only to run when there is no instance of gnus (master)?

If you run them at the same time, which is usually what I'm
doing. they are both trying to write to the dribble file.  Is USER
expected to disallow slave from making any changes to that file?

Can anyone explain a bit more how it is expected to be used?