Re: open/close threads with `<' and `>'

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: open/close threads with `<' and `>'
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:12:51 +0200

>>> Too bad to... it would come in handy on the raging thread going on in
>>> gmane.emacs.gnus.general right now ... hehe.
>>
>> Where did you add the keymappings suggessed by Tassilo ?
>> This works for me:
>>
>> (defun my-gnus-summary-mode-hook ()
>>   (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map (kbd ">") 'gnus-summary-show-thread)
>>   (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map (kbd "<") 'gnus-summary-hide-thread)
>>   )
>> (add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook 'my-gnus-summary-mode-hook)
>
> Just a bit more info on this.  Evaluating your code does not allow
> those keys to call those commands for some reason.  However if I just
> call the actual commands
> (gnus-summary-hide-thread/gnus-summary-show-thread) with cursor on
> part of a thread then it works fine.
>
> Am I doing this wrong in some way?
>
> I've inserted Tassilos' code into .gnus and evaluated .gnus, I've
> evaluated your code right on your post.  Still the <> keys do not
> respond.

I don't use these keys (but C-left/right) for that purpose, but
evaluating the 2 define-key forms, it works fine even with <> in both a
terminal as well as a X11 emacs frame.  But I had to exit the summary
and reenter the summary (possibly, because the bindings are added as
text properties to the summary lines).

I use emacs 24 (bzr version of today) and gnus from its git repository.

Bye,
Tassilo