Re: Fancy split - simple regexp problem

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: Fancy split - simple regexp problem
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:14:46 +0200

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 14:50:06 +0200
Tim Landscheidt wrote:

> Štěpán Němec <stepnem@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Nothing, I think :-). I personally don't use fancy split-
>>> ting, but a deeper look at (at least Gnus 5.13's) code seems
>>> to locate the culprit in Emacs' *backward* regular expres-
>>> sion "non-greedity": Position point at the end of
>>> "bugzilla.gdm", C-u C-r "\w+" - et voilà, only one character
>>> is matched.
>
>> That's not "non-greedity", that's brokenness IMO. Reported as GNU Emacs
>> bug #9681.
>
> As your opinion doesn't seem to be shared by the Emacs de-
> velopers, I'd suggest filing a bug for Gnus (as well :-)).

Be my guest. (I'm not interested in the Gnus problem in particular, as I
don't use splitting.)

Also, I don't think "doesn't seem to be shared" is a fair description.
I think most of them acknowledge the problem, but don't consider it
important enough to invest the (apparently rather big) amount of effort
necessary to fix it.

The brokenness is hardly deniable.

--
Štěpán