Re: gnus + offlineimap

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: gnus + offlineimap
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 00:21:09 +0000

Leandro Noferini <lnoferin@cybervalley.org> writes:

> Ciao a tutti,
>
> somebody could point me to some instructions about using gnus with
> offlineimap?
>
> I know I could use offlineimap to sync from a remote imap server to a
> local one and then connect gnus to local imap but the pc I need to use
> is really too small and so I need a lighter solution.
>
> I need to understand how to read directly maildir mail with gnus.

I run offlineimap via an IDLE script.

I have dovecot serve mails via a local IMAP server.  A daemon is started
when I start my system.

I have the follwoing in my dovecot file
#+begin_src
# 2.0.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.36-ARCH x86_64
mail_location = maildir:~/Mail:LAYOUT=fs
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
ssl = no
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
#+end_src

And this in my Emacs config:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq my/imap-method
      `(nnimap "Mail"
                      (nnimap-address "localhost")
;;                    (nnimap-stream network)
                      (nnimap-stream undecided)
                      (nnimap-logout-timeout 1.0)
                      (nnimap-authenticator login)))

;; For historical reasons a secondary select method
(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods my/imap-method)

(setq gnus-message-archive-method my/imap-method)
#+end_src

Further, to each of my (many) mail-profiles I append a GCC-header:
("GCC" . "nnimap+Mail:gmail/sent")

What I don't know how to do is to make Gnus understand that localhost is
always available.  At the moment it will not let me view local mail
unless I am connected to the Internet and it can get in touch with Gmane
etc.  Any solutions to this?

–Rasmus

--
Sent from my Emacs