Re: gnus newbie question: why do read articles disappear from summary?

From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
Subject: Re: gnus newbie question: why do read articles disappear from summary?
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:39:52 +0200

Brendan Miller <catphive@catphive.net> writes:

> After reading an article in summary it gets marked with 'R'. If I leave
> the summary buffer for my group with q and log back in, that article
> disappears. Why is this? Also, is there a way to prevent this behavior?

If you enter the summary with a prefix (like C-u RET), it'll show up
again. Within a summary buffer, you can do C-u M-g to show read
articles.

But if anyone's got a handy "show me ten older articles" elisp snippet
hanging around, I'd love to get a copy …

> I really only want articles to disappear if I manually ask for it.

With news groups, you may have 27102 "read" articles, showing all of
them each time you enter would take a while … but I guess you could bind
a key to do the equivalent of C-u 20 RET to always show you the 20 last
when you enter.

> Also, I've noticed there is a way to mark an article read using d, but
> it makes it with a lower case 'r' flag. What's the difference between
> this lower case 'r' flag and the upper case 'R' flag?

r is manually marked read, R is really read ;) I'm pretty sure they're
treated the same when you exit the summary though.

-Kevin