Re: Subscribing and unsubscribing via Gmane

From: Adam Sjøgren
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:44:01 +0200

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:24:51 +0200, Thorsten wrote:

> I subscribed to a dozen mostly Emacs related mailing-lists through
> gmane, i.e. by simply sending a first mail from gnus to the mailing list
> and responding to the gmane authorization message within a week.

Responding to the authorization email does not mean that you are
subscribed to the mailinglist. It simply means that Gmane will send
articles you post via nntp to the newsgroup, to the mailinglist, via
email.

Gmane doesn't care whether you are subscribed to a mailinglist or not
(and Gmane doesn't (more specifically: can't) know).

> Now I decided that I would like to use a more 'serious' email for all of
> these groups and want to unsubscibe with my old email and subscribe with
> my new one.

If you change your email-address, you will simply recieve a new
authorization email the first time you post to each group. You don't
need to do anything special with regards to Gmane.

> And gnus should be aware of the change, i.e. use my new email
> automatically for all posts I send to the mailing lists.

This sounds like something you could do using posting styles in Gnus:

 * http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_154.html#SEC154

Perhaps combined with topic parameters:

 * http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_39.html#SEC39

> Is there a simple way to do this from gnus like sending mails with 'Subject:
> unsubscribe' from my old mail to all mailing-list

You definitely should not do that.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "You have to photosynthesize"                                Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk