"Cannot read active file from nntp server"

From: Miguel Guedes
Subject: "Cannot read active file from nntp server"
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 10:01:52 +0100

Hello,

I can't get emacs gnus to list any newsgroups when I fire it up.

This is what I do:

M-x gnus
<enter username when asked>
<enter password when asked>

Then, when it loads up, I get a blank *Group* screen and the "No more unread newsgroups" message.

Then attempting to retrieve the full group list from the server using A A results in the error message "Cannot read active file from nntp server".

The only settings I added to my .emacs file are:

;; Setup NNTP newsgroups
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "eunews.blocknews.net"))
(setq gnus-read-active-file nil)