Re: using local dovecot nnimap, gnus Group shows wrong counts and mail

From: Myles
Subject: Re: using local dovecot nnimap, gnus Group shows wrong counts and mail
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 01:36:22 +0000 (UTC)

Jonas Hörsch <coroa <at> online.de> writes:

> i guess, in your setup the nnimap-shell-program specification is not
> used at all, because you're telling gnus to connect via the network to
> the listening dovecot server instead of starting it by shell.
>
> (if it was connecting by shell/pipe, you would not be asked for
> authentication, as you're starting it by yourself)
>
> to do what you meant to do, you might try to use:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnimap "gmailOne"
>               (nnimap-stream shell)
>               (nnimap-shell-program
>                "MAIL=maildir:/home/myles/Maildir/gmailOne
>                /usr/lib/dovecot/imap"))))

Jonas,

Thanks a lot for your help.  Your answer prompted me to try again (once I
got back from holiday) and I realise that I was slightly confused; the
MAIL variable is not needed because userdb_mail is set when
/etc/dovecot/passwd is queried during authentication, e.g.

gmailOne:{plain}GMAILONEPASSWD:1000:1000::/home/myles::userdb_mail=maildir:
/home/myles/Maildir/gmailOne

However, I think there is still a problem: where two virtual servers resolve
to the same host, gnus confuses the two mail boxes, may be it connects
correctly to the IMAP server to start with but subsequently just looks up
the connection by the ip address.

So, I now connect via network (to force the use of authentication) :

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "gmailOne"
                (nnimap-address "localhost")
                (nnimap-user gmailOne)
                (nnimap-stream network)
)
        (nnimap "gmailTwo"
                (nnimap-address "localhost")
                (nnimap-user gmailTwo)
                (nnimap-stream network)
)))

It correctly reads credentials from .authinfo and authenticates with dovecot,
I can subscribe to groups but when refreshing the *Groups* buffer, again,
the message counts are wrong and the messages from one account appear in the
other one.  Claws-mail manages okay.

> alternatively you could just use one global maildir and have you're
> different accounts as subdirectories. judging by [1], this might be
> possible by just renaming them to .gmailOne and .gmailTwo .

Trying that would be a last resort because I would have to download all my gmail
again, but I will keep it in mind.

I tried using localhost2 for the second server and adding to /etc/hosts but get
the same behaviour.

Any more ideas?

Myles