Re: Can I specify location of .newsrc.eld and alike or gnus & Dropbox

From: William Gardella
Subject: Re: Can I specify location of .newsrc.eld and alike or gnus & Dropbox
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 00:48:37 -0400

Mikhail Titov <mlt@gmx.us> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to set up gnus such that I can keep track of news from 2
> machines without reading same news twice. I thought I could get away by
> using symlinks or even hard links. But it looks like gnus writes into a
> new file as inode is different. I thought gnus-home-directory affects
> location of .newsrc.eld  but it looks like it does not.
>
> So what is the best way to sync configuration between 2 machines?
>
> I'm running Emacs 24.1.50.1 (Ubuntu & Windows) with default (?) Gnus 5.13 .

Hi!

`gnus-home-directory' is the correct variable to customize, but it must
already be set before Gnus is initialized; otherwise, Gnus will
regenerate ~/.newsrc.eld on restart if it can't find it (which is
annoying, because you're trying to get it to show up inside your version
control repo/dropbox/whatever).

Best,
WGG

--