Re: gnu linux clients capable of virtual groups

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: gnu linux clients capable of virtual groups
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:35:28 +0700

        [Cross-posting to news:gnu.emacs.gnus.]

[...]

 >> I'll describe the problem, rather than the solution.  When a user is
 >> subscribed to 100 newsgroups, it is *very* cumbersome to visit each
 >> newsgroup to see if there is anything interesting on a daily basis.

[...]

 >> Those would be "virtual" newsgroups, because the user creates them
 >> and only the client knows about them, not the outside world.

 >> It's a bit of a surprise that Windows clients (which tend to cater
 >> for simple one-click users) have clients that can configure virtual
 >> newsgroups, while text-based gnu linux tools are falling short on
 >> the power and configurability.

 > That might be possible, but I'm unaware of any newsreader, Linux, Mac
 > or Windows that can do such a thing.

        Gnus (which runs on top of Emacs) can do it, and is available
        for all the mentioned platforms.  This feature is accessed via
        the M-x gnus-group-make-empty-virtual and M-x
        gnus-group-add-to-virtual commands in the *Groups* buffer.

[...]

 > For someone who does read a lot of articles, from many newsgroups,
 > this would certainly generate a lot of confusion.  Sorting by date
 > and time would wreck any thread display with everything intermixed.

        Huh?

[...]

 > One possible trouble would be replying.  The newsreader would need to
 > know the real newsgroup so it could post back into it.  Perhaps by
 > evaluating the disposition of the reply by using the Newsgroups:
 > header field.

        Due to the support of cross-posting in Usenet, it's not only
        "virtual" groups that need such a feature, as when posting a
        follow-up to a cross-posted article, the currently selected
        group won't be the only one the follow needs to go to.

        Furthermore, should an article be selected, e. g., by traversing
        the current article doesn't belong to the current group at all.

 > Again, threading could be a nightmare without using the References:
 > header field.

        ?  I don't know of any sensible way to thread, other than by
        relying on References:.

[...]

--
FSF associate member #7257