Re: setup for imap server with many users

From: Gour
Subject: Re: setup for imap server with many users
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 21:28:36 +0100

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 19:55:09 +0000
William Gardella <gardellawg@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Wow.  Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I've never seen any such setup for
> auth-source and have no clue how you would support it.

Heh, too bad I do not have time-machine to go in the past to
demonstrate you. :-)

> All going to your Emacs and Gnus?  It might make more sense to give
> each of them their own Emacs initfile and system user.

No. They use Claws-mail which is easier for them.

Moreover, for their minimal usage of computer, there is no sense to
create system account for them...and Claws-mail operates normally in
this setup where I now access mail for each 'user' from corresponding
dovecot's virtual user...so, don't understand fully why it should be
problem for Gnus?

I would like to (again) use Gnus to take advantage of orgmode's support
for it.

> FTR, the maildir backend isn't particularly buggy these days.

I'm aware some time has passed in between, but posts like this

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2587291/using-maildir-as-a-backend-for-gnus

has made me think that nnimap is (still) better solution.

> Also, the local Dovecot hack for Gnus pertains mostly to an era when
> nnimap was too slow for acceptable use, which is no longer really the
> case.

Really?

Do you mean latest Gnus or the one coming with Emacs-24 'cause I'm
running Debian Wheezy and have 23.4.1?

> Particularly with the Agent and (setq gnus-asynchronous t), its
> performance is just fine.

Thank you. I was not aware of the above setting.

> If I were you, I'd cut out the Dovecot step entirely and just use
> Gnus+nnimap directly to the remote hosts.

OK, but this still involves Gnus talking to several IMAP servers and
fetching mail for several different users? How the setup should look in
such case?

> It is much less of a "Rube Goldberg machine" than the setup you
> currently have.

Yes, I agree that present (past) setup is a bit convoluted due to
performance issues.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who is not disturbed in mind even amidst the threefold
miseries or elated when there is happiness, and who is free