Re: reformat messages without adding returns

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: reformat messages without adding returns
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 00:38:47 +0200

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> I know I can reformat a paragraph by using M-RET but it also
> adds two empty lines and it only reformats the paragraph after
> the location of the cursor.
>
> Is there a way of reformating (mainly fixing long lines in
> replies) in the *wholw* message *without* adding extra lines?

I used to use this to fix rmail mails:

(defun fill-mail ()
  (interactive)
  "Fill every overflow paragraph in the buffer. Don't justify.
Don't fill (mail) header lines."
  (fill-individual-paragraphs (point-min) (point-max) nil "t") )

To fix Usenet posts in Gnus, I use gnus-article-fill-cited-article.

When I write messages, I first use the wrap minor mode, then
fill-paragraph.

Those should be bound to single key shortcuts that I can reach
without - eh - reaching (with either hand).

Actually, I have experienced problems with all three solutions,
and they could probably be automatized; I just have been busy on
other projects. (So any pointers are welcome.) But, for the OP,
all are worth to examine.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573