Sharing gnus between 2 machines

From: Julien Cubizolles
Subject: Sharing gnus between 2 machines
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 19:00:28 +0200

I'm looking for examples of successful setups of gnus shared between
several machines. Here is what I have so far:

nnimap for two imap servers
nnml on local files
nntp on gwene and gmane

I'm using the registry for splitting and to use links to messages in
Org-mode.

I'm using the agent to run gnus unplugged when I'm using Emacs for
something else as I don't want it to pause everytime gnus checks for
messages. I'm running a cron script running gnus-agent-batch in the
background.

I'm synchronizing
.newsrc.eld
.gnus.registry.eioio
.gnus.registry.eld
.newsrc-dribble
Mail/
News/

between two machines with unison, mostly to be able to write messages
and read message-lists on my laptop while commuting.

It mostly works, except that quite often, I get messages complaining
about .gnus.registry.eioio that couldn't be opened and then the read
status of messages seems to be lost. It's actually very annoying on
very active message lists.

I guess I'm not the only one with similar objectives. Could you share
your strategy to accomplish it ?

Thanks,

Julien.