Re: archiving threads one contributes to

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: archiving threads one contributes to
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:51:17 +0200

On 2014-07-23 16:25, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> writes:

> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> My problem is twofolds: how do I make sure that the
>> files corresponding to threads I've replied to remain
>> on my hard drive, while other files may be cleared at
>> some point
>
> You mean, you will delete the other files manually?

No. Right now some article are present in my agent cache (in
agent/nntp/news.gwene.org/gmane/emacs/gnus/user). If I understand things
correctly, these articles may expire at some point:

  gnus-agent-expire-days

  The number of days that a ‘read’ article must stay in the agent's
  local disk before becoming eligible for expiration (While the name is
  the same, this doesn't mean expiring the article on the server. It
  just means deleting the local copy of the article). What is also
  important to understand is that the counter starts with the time the
  article was written to the local disk and not the time the article was
  read. Default 7.

I want to make sure the articles are copied locally to some place where
they won't expire. However I don't want to retain every article posted
on these newsgroups indefinitely.

> But this seems a bit sketchy so I recommend looking
> around if there isn't a time tested solution
> around... again, if you really feel you must delete the
> other files that is!

It seems the default value is to delete. And the manual argues against
caching everything: "If you have an extremely slow NNTP connection, you
may consider turning article caching on. Each article will then be
stored locally under your home directory. As you may surmise, this could
potentially use huge amounts of disk space, as well as eat up all your
inodes so fast it will make your head swim. In vodka."
(https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Article-Caching.html)

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7