Re: What's the best server and how do you setup gnus in emacs?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: What's the best server and how do you setup gnus in emacs?
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 04:48:02 +0200

thezsak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> What's the best server and how do you setup gnus in
> emacs?

Gnus is already included and so all you need to do is
specify a couple of parameters in an init file, so you
don't have to input everything every time you run Emacs
and Gnus. What should be put in the init file depends,
I suppose the most basic question is: would you like to
use Gnus for mail/listbots or for news, or both? If you
answer this, we'll be able to help you more...

As for the best server, I use:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "Aioe.org"))

I don't know if it is the best - it doesn't require
user authentication, which I like, but some people say
for this reason spammers go wild. I don't know about
that, I don't see much spam at all, truth be told.

> I'm a long time emacs and gnus user previously, not a
> programmer. It's been many years since I used gnus.
> Years ago gnus was already setup on the system.

It is not a big deal to setup Gnus and it can be done
with no or minimal changes to the rest of the system
(as in, you'll have to create a couple of dirs at
most).

> and I'm trying to use the information at
> http://www.xsteve.at/prg/gnus/

Then, you might also be interested in my page:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/gnus/index.html

The introduction is totally schematic but the
screenshots are cool and there are tons of
configuration. In those files, perhaps you are able to
distill how to setup the basic stuff as well, but I
take it there are better sources for that.

--
underground experts united