Re: How to save the attachment?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to save the attachment?
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 03:49:24 +0200

Quanyang Liu <lqymgt@gmail.com> writes:

> it show me this [1. application/pdf; Learn You a
> Haskell for Great Good.pdf]... So that I do not need
> to give the file name and it can be perfectly
> downloaded...

So it does work when you type a filename?

Then it isn't that bad, you can even make the time
worthwhile to give the files better filenames that
don't contain spaces...

Not that you are not exactly downloading the file. You
already have it when you have the mail to which it is
attached. You just tell Gnus to put it somewhere on
your filesystem - i.e., to extract it from the mail
file.

For example, I use nnml, so ever mail gets one file on
my hard disk. In particular, they end up in
~/Mail/mail/misc - if I use ll ('ls -lh') there, I see
that almost all mails are just a couple of Ks (3.3K,
6.8K, etc.) - but then I see some that are big: 2.4M,
even 21M, and so on.

Those are the mails witch attachments. If I use 'file'
on such a file, it says it is just a bunch of ASCII.
Nevertheless, with 'munpack -f 351' (if 351 is the name
of the MIME mail) I can get all the encoded elements.
[On Debian, you get munpack with 'sudo aptitude install
mpack'; probably that works on the Ubuntus as well.]

Try do the same. If it works that way, it should work
from Gnus as well.

> But when use web mail mail to send it, it behave
> differently (just as what I describe at the first
> article I post).

What do you mean - "web mail"?

--
underground experts united