Two nnimap splitting questions

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Two nnimap splitting questions
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 09:12:19 +0000

I'm using Gnus at work (yay!) with nnimap. After quite a bit of
fiddling, I eventually got fancy splitting working based on
nnimap-split-methods. However, there are two things confusing me:

 1. In the Client-Side IMAP splitting page of the Gnus manual, there's
    this example:

         (nnimap "imap.example.com"
                 (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                 (nnimap-split-methods
                  (| ("MailScanner-SpamCheck" "spam" "spam.detected")
                     (to "foo@bar.com" "foo")
                     "undecided")))

    But copying it failed miserably for me: it seems that by the time we
    get to the splitting functions in nnmail, they look at
    eg. nnmail-split-fancy which just has its default value (and isn't
    populated with the contents of my nnimap-split-methods).

    Does anyone have an example like this working for them? If so, I was
    probably not updating things properly and being bitten by my second
    question...

 2. I finally got things working with something like this in my .gnus.el:

       (setq gnus-select-method
         '(nnimap "imap.example.com"
                  (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                  (nnimap-split-methods nnmail-split-fancy)
                  (nnmail-split-fancy
                   (| (something or other)
                      "undecided"))))

    and that's great, but I had reasonably complicated splitting rules I
    was trying to "port" from Thunderbird, so I had to edit them several
    times (less painful when I'd found B q and B t). Unfortunately, just
    re-evaluating the gnus-select-method setq form didn't update the
    splitting rules, nor did hitting "r" in the Group buffer.

    Is there any way to update my splitting rules without quitting gnus
    and restarting? (That got irritating pretty quickly...)

Rupert