flyspell in messages

From: Haines Brown
Subject: flyspell in messages
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 09:26:34 -0500

I'm using gnus to read newsgroups, and I would like to have flyspell run
automatically whenever I write a message in reply to a posting. At
present, the mode bar says: (Message MML Abbrev Fill Narrow). Does this
mean I'm in the Message group?

I try this in the init file for gnus:

  (dolist (hook '(Message-mode-hook))
      (add-hook hook (lambda () (flyspell-mode 1))))

Not only does this not open flyspell automatically, but when I try to
open flyspell manually (M-x flyspell-mode) I get an error that
/usr/lib/aspell/american-huge cannot be opened". Although I have
iamerican-huge and wamerican-huge installed, there is no such
american-huge file.

I would like to be in flyspell minor mode whenever I reply to a
newsgroup without having to remember to start it manually.