Re: flyspell in messages

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: flyspell in messages
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 16:21:48 +0100

Haines Brown <haines@engels.histomat.net> writes:

Hi Haines,

> I'm using gnus to read newsgroups, and I would like to have flyspell
> run automatically whenever I write a message in reply to a posting. At
> present, the mode bar says: (Message MML Abbrev Fill Narrow). Does
> this mean I'm in the Message group?

This means `message-mode' is the active `major-mode' and MML, Abbrev,
Fill and Narrow are enabled minor modes.  (The so-called lighters in the
mode-line don't need to correspond exactly to the mode name.)

> I try this in the init file for gnus:
>
>   (dolist (hook '(Message-mode-hook))
>       (add-hook hook (lambda () (flyspell-mode 1))))

The problem is that the hook is actually named `message-mode-hook' so

  (dolist (hook '(message-mode-hook ...))
    (add-hook hook #'flyspell-mode))

will do the trick.

> Not only does this not open flyspell automatically, but when I try to
> open flyspell manually (M-x flyspell-mode) I get an error that
> /usr/lib/aspell/american-huge cannot be opened". Although I have
> iamerican-huge and wamerican-huge installed, there is no such
> american-huge file.

Hm, that seems to be an aspell configuration problem.  Or do you have
any configurations to flyspell-* or ispell-* variables in Emacs?

Bye,
Tassilo