Re: newbie spam filtering with gnus

From: Steven Arntson
Subject: Re: newbie spam filtering with gnus
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 12:51:16 -0700

Enrico Schumann <es@enricoschumann.net> writes:

> On Thu, 02 Apr 2015, Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Spamc -V does give me a version number, so that seems to be working. I
>> added the code you recommended, so the full splitting/spam-oriented
>> lines of my .gnus are:
>>
>> | (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy
>> |       nnmail-split-fancy '(| (: kevin-spamassassin)
>> |                              "mail.misc"))
>> |
>> | (defun kevin-spamassassin ()
>> |   (save-excursion
>> |     (save-restriction
>> |       (widen)
>> |       (if (eq 1 (call-process-region (point-min) (point-max)
>> |                                      "spamc" nil nil nil "-c"))
>> |           "spam"))))
>>
>> I can receive mail still---all seems to be working, but no spams have
>> yet been filtered. Are there steps I need to take directly with
>> Spamassassin to get it working?
>
> spamc requires that spamd is running (see 'man spamassassin'). In a
> terminal, try
>
>     echo something | spamc -r
>
> If SpamAssassin works, it should tell you that the message ('something')
> is spam because it is missing headers etc.

I entered `sudo spamd' on terminal, and that seemed to start spamd. I
followed with the input you recommended:

    echo something | spamc -r

And the system told me it looked like spam---so it's all working!

However, nothing's getting filtered yet. I feel like I should be
"teaching" the system by feeding it some spam? But am not sure how to
send a spam to spamassassin. I know the spam.el package provides the `$'
for marking things as spam, but the config we're working with here
doesn't use spam.el.