Re: moving articles from mail groups

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: moving articles from mail groups
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 22:08:02 +0200

Hikaru Ichijyo <ichijyo@macross.sdf.jp> writes:

> The manual uses nnfolder as an example of how a user
> may keep an archive of mailboxes all in
> a subdirectory for mail they may keep. I couldn't
> see anything wrong with the idea. In fact, the
> syntax for how I've done this is mostly taken from
> the manual.

I don't use either of your backends (I use nnml) which
is perhaps a lame excuse for not being able to give
a to-the-point answer, however that said I still don't
see why you'd want to change backend if there is no
apparent reason other than reorganizing (uniform)
material into several groups, which seems to lend
itself to just creating new groups of the
same backend.

Besides making sense intuitively that would solve this
specific issue as well, and possibly more future issue
unknown at this point.

> This is not for saving *every* message. This is only
> for saving particular messages I come across that
> I want to save. Because it is only me deciding which
> messages those should be, it has to be manual.

If you don't want this for every message, and if
you're OK doing it manually, why don't just hit M-DEL
each time as well to remove the prefix?

> Do you know why it's double-prompting me this way,
> or how to stop it?

The reason the prefix appears is because it
makes sense.

I do know how to stop it in theory, but I decline to
take action (at this point at least) because I think
first it should be explored if the same backend can be
used, second it should be reconsidered if this really
is a problem to be fix.

Only at that point I would write an Elisp wrapper,
a new interface to the old function, so that function
in turn would be invoked non-interactively, with the
data as arguments. That way you don't have to bother
with that interface at all, and your own interface can
be as fast/specific as you write it to be.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573