Re: washing and `article-translate-strings' in what hook?

From: Ben Bacarisse
Subject: Re: washing and `article-translate-strings' in what hook?
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 11:08:42 +0100

> Ben Bacarisse <ben.lists@bsb.me.uk> writes:
>
>> I think you need to wrap the body in
>>
>>   (gnus-with-article-buffer ...)
>>
>> This will have the added effect of making the
>> interactive function work from the summary buffer
>> window (provided there is a current article in some
>> buffer, of course).
>
> That's exactly right!
>
> But how is anyone to realize this?

Ah, good question.  I don't know.  I learned what I know by reading
other people's code (some of it the Gnus sources).

> Because there is no article argument to
> `article-translate-strings', the current article is
> all it can be applied to (?). So then shouldn't it say
> there is none, if there isn't?
>
> Or did this happen to some *other* article which
> I have been unaware of?

That's possible.  The code operates on the current buffer, so it was
probably editing something!

> And why did it work calling it interactively but not
> doing the same from Lisp?
> Is `gnus-article-prepare-hook' the wrong place so at
> that time there isn't a buffer set to work
> on, interactively?

I don't think the key distinction is interactive/non interactive.  The
key issue is whether there is a "current buffer" which you can see
change.  Selecting an article probably makes the article buffer current
so calling the function interactively works on the article you can see.

<snip>
--
Ben.