Empty Group Always in Group Buffer

From: britt
Subject: Empty Group Always in Group Buffer
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 09:34:14 -0400

When beginning gnus my INBOX group always shows up with an * indicating
a ticked email, but the box is reported empty, shows 0, and when I C-u
RET I am told the INBOX is empty. If I go
into the folder on my computer that corresponds to the INBOX it is
indeed empty of all mail. Other groups to which I am subscribed, and which are
empty, do not show up. Groups to which I am subscribed, and which do
have ticked messages show up correctly.

Would anyone point me to the right keywords,terms I need to search in
the manual to figure out how to fix this? My googling has not been very helpful.

Thank you,