Stale connections

From: Random832
Subject: Stale connections
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 00:46:16 -0400

Is there a way to stop gnus from holding open connections to servers
(especially nnimap) that it's not actively using and inevitably getting
long delays while it waits to time out or I have to hit C-g (which
occasionally makes it think the server is permanently broken until I
restart gnus)

I mostly see this happen with my IMAP server - I am on the
emacsformacosx.com build and it is using openssl to connect to the
server - but I do see this behavior with unencrypted NNTP servers
occasionally, so it's not purely an openssl issue.