Re: S/MIME with OpenSSL?

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: S/MIME with OpenSSL?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:31:18 +0000

>>> "Adam" == Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

   > Uwe writes:
   >> Did you try once to convince computer how shall I say illiterate to
   >> use encryption?

   > I learned a long time ago not to try and impose my preferences on other
   > computer users.

This is not about impose, this is about practical matter. Suppose you
want to interchange confidential information with someone outside the
GNU/emacs world and that person has very little computer knowledge. For
him/her pgp is a nightmare to install. Smime not.

   >> operations                S/MIME                 PGP
   >> Inst of software          no; included           yes

   > I think you have some hidden assumptions about what software is used
   > here? Don't both S/MIME and PGP use external tools in Gnus?

I am speaking here about software in general, almost all mail programs,
thunderbird, evolution, kmail, outlook, whatever have smime support

   >> Installation of plugin    no; included           yes

   > Again, you must be assuming something about the software being used -
   > Gnus has built in support for both, right?

Same comment.

   >> generation of keypair     no; ask for a          yes
   >> certificate

   > This seems to be a negative for S/MIME: it is easy to generate a PGP
   > key. How do you generate an S/MIME certificate?

It is not easy to generate a pgp for an illiterate, trust me. You can
generate a S/MIME certificate, but it will be self signed and therefore
useless, most clients would refuse a message from someone with a self
signed certificate. So you apply for certifcate which is signed by a
root authority, in one of the dozen services like commodo, they provide
with a class 1[1] certificate for one year.[2]

   >> interchange of public     simply send a sign     yes interchange
   >> keys                      message

   > I have never received or sent an S/MIME message, so it's hard to judge
   > this one. Does it mean that every S/MIME message includes the public key
   > of the sender?

yes

   > What prevents you from doing that with PGP-signed messages?

Again for most illiterate this is not obvious. For s/mime it is by design.

   > I've set up Gnus/GnuPG to automatically fetch keys for every person I
   > see a signature from, so there is nothing manual for me to do here.

Again this is not as trivial as you think. An my fetch you mean from a
keyserver where that person has uploaded his key I presume.

   >   Best regards,

   >     Adam

Footnotes:
[1]  class 1 means only the email is verified not your identity. If you
     want that you have to pay.

[2]  this is of course the weak point of the whole model. If those
     services are breached, the security breaks down or can break down.