Re: how to set gnus authinfo file

From: Bill White
Subject: Re: how to set gnus authinfo file
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2016 15:44:22 -0500

On Sun Jul 03 2016 at 07:47, Alice Bob <alicebob@riseup.net> wrote:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
>
>> Alice writes:
>>
>>> Ha, this is my idead: since `authinfo.gpg' is only for Gnus mail
>>> authentication, why not put it under emacs directory? File under
>>> home (~/.authinfo.gpg) should be used for the whole user
>>> account. Is this reasonable?
>>
>> Do any other programs use ~/.authinfo.gpg?

> I am not sure yet. AFAIS, only Emacs/Gnus use ~/.authinfo.gpg (by default).

tramp and org-jira do.  if i use one of them first thing in a fresh
emacs, i'm prompted to decrypt ~/.authinfo.gpg.  and i recently wrote a
mathematica shell script that had to access an internal web server with
authentication, so i wrote a little authinfo parser for it to avoid
storing my password in the code.

cheers -

bw
bill white . billw@wolfram.com