Re: precise format of .authinfo file

From: Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙)
Subject: Re: precise format of .authinfo file
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 23:12:43 +0900

dmahler@gmail.com 께서 쓰시길,
 《記事 全文 <2d1f5c3f-fe50-4e26-b046-e84de3745751@googlegroups.com>
 에서》:

> I would like to know the exact specification of the .authinfo file format.
>
> I am trying to use gnus to read my mail.
> I now have a configuration that works for both
> my personal gnail and my work office365 accounts
> as long as I supply the passwords manually.
>
> I am trying to create an ~/authinfo.gpg to automate logging in.
> Initially I am trying to set up a plain ~/.authinfo file
> to eliminate gpg related issues and I am only doing it for my gmail account.
>
> When I supply a ~/.authinfo file for my gmail account
> I am no longer asked for a password
> but my gmail mailboxes do not appear
> and in *Messages* I get a the message:
>
>     Warning: Opening nnimap server on gmail.com...failed: BAD Failed to parse
> your command f189mb236504406ivf
>
> I get a similar problem for my work email when I try to set up authinfo for
> that account.
>
> The format of authinfo entries is usually given as
>
> machine HOST login ACCOUNT password PASSWORD port PORT
>
> where the lowercase words are literals and upper case words get substituted
> by concrete values.
> An example would be:
>
> machine imap.gmail.com login mr-x@gmail.com password H0keyPok3ey port 993
>
> However in some examples either ACCOUNT and/or PASSWORD are sometimes shown
> as quoted, eg:
>
> machine imap.gmail.com login "mr-x@gmail.com" password "H0keyPok3ey" port 993
>
> It is also not clear if any character escaping needs to be done.
>
> Usually the ACCOUNT is given as the full email address.
>
> Sometimes the port is given by a symbol like "imap" or the port section is
> omitted altogether.
>
> I would also like to make sure that the entries are indeed space separated
> and not tab separated.
>
> I have tried a number of the above possibilities alone and in combination
> and all with the same result as above.
>
> I am using GNU Emacs 25.2.
>
> What do I need to get gnus to work with the authinfo.

Well i think you would be bug report.

`M-x report-bug-emacs' (with "Cc: larsi@gnus.org")

Otherwise you could check one by one. In my case, i failed with
GNU/Emacs 23.3 with Gnus 5.13. At that time, Gnus did fail to connect to
imap.gmail.com.

Then i did upgrade GNU/Emacs 25.x snapshot. And Gnus did success to
connect to imap.gmail.com.

For now i use Gnus devel version (Ma Gnus) with GNU/Emacs 23.3. Of
course Ma Gnus have no problem to connect to imap.gmail.com.

Again i suggest that you would be bug report with your detail
environments^^

Sincerely,

--
^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//