Re: groups not being scanned

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: groups not being scanned
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 15:41:43 -0700

> On Wednesday, 16 Aug 2017 at 12:21, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Long story short for background: I have had to move back to Outlook
>>> exchange server for my emails.  I used to use this server before and
>>> everything (sort of) worked.  Moved 1.5 years ago to gmail for speed
>>> (especially search) but I have had to move back.
>>>
>>> For some reason that I cannot fathom, when I ask for new email, only my
>>> INBOX is scanned.  Other groups on that server are not even though their
>>> levels are low enough (with respect to gnus-activate-level).  Multiple
>>> group scanning works on my gmail servers.
>>>
>>> Is there a server specific setting that would affect this?
>>
>> Not that I'm aware of... Can you explicitly scan other groups with M-g
>> in the *Group* buffer?
>
> I can scan any group from that server manually, with M-g.
>
> My OP was wrong, by the way: none of the groups get scanned.  Somehow I
> convinced myself that INBOX was being scanned but it wasn't.

Then the function to edebug is `gnus-get-unread-articles'. That's going
to be a long boring slog (if you have many other servers, maybe close
them first), but it ought to show you what's going on.

I'd recommend starting the edebug, then jumping to line 1701 (in Emacs
master), and checking out the value of the "type-cache" variable (got to
love Gnus' impenetrably-named variables). That should hold a list of all
the servers that Gnus is going to check groups for. Either the Exchange
server won't be in there (in which case start over and follow from the
top), or it will be (in which case follow on from there, and see what
happens).

Wish I had a better solution!

Eric