Re: how does gnus delete attachments IMAP

From: Dan Christensen
Subject: Re: how does gnus delete attachments IMAP
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 21:07:02 -0400

On Sep 20, 2017, Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> wrote:

> I have this email that has four large files attached to it. Using Gnus,
> I deleted all of them

[...]

> Oddly enough, on the IMAP server, the files are still there, in the
> email message.

[...]

> What did I miss?

With IMAP, messages cannot be edited.  To work around this, Gnus will
typically create a new message without the attachments.  How Gnus treats
the original seems inconsistent to me.  Sometimes it is deleted, but
sometimes it sticks around, in which case I mark it as expirable, so it
will get deleted later.

Dan