Re: Changing language input method by addressee

From: Tim Landscheidt
Subject: Re: Changing language input method by addressee
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2018 19:18:14 +0000

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> wrote:

>> A better solution might involve giving your BBDB contacts a "language"
>> xfield, holding values like "fr" or "de". Then in the
>> message-setup-hook just retrieve the actual BBDB contact, check if it
>> has a language xfield, and set the input method accordingly.

> This is really the right way. Then the method is extensible easily to
> any number of languages and the language preferences are stored with the
> rest of the recipient's info. And there is no need to loop through a
> potentially long list.

> Many thanks for the idea. I'll go about implementing it.

BTW, I have a similar itch with sentence-end-double-space
which I set to nil when I compose German mails (or other
texts), being able to type:

| (set (make-local-variable 'sentence-end-double-space) nil)

now blindly :-).

I always wanted to solve that more fundamentally: A buffer
(or a part of a buffer?) has an associated language, and
certain properties derive from that, similar to HTML's lang
attribute.  Sentence ends, smart quotes, etc. would then
take the buffer's (or point's) language in consideration.

Does Emacs provide some groundwork to build upon for that?

Tim