Re: on automatic gnus-summary-insert-new-articles after posting

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: on automatic gnus-summary-insert-new-articles after posting
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 10:03:42 +0200

Robert writes:

> This brings me to a point I've been trying to set up Gnus for.  I'd like
> to keep, for a while, a history of everything I wrote.  Saving messages
> locally isn't good enough because the context is gone.  The context is
> the thread.

When you read an article, you can fetch the thread with A T.

(I don't know if it is useful for your purpose, just thought I'd mention
it.)

> When I enter a group, I feel lost.  I think it's slrn that I've used in
> the past.  When I'd enter a news group, I'd have a clear idea of what's
> happening --- which threads are growing and which are not.

The "usual" way I handle this is to have Gnus not show articles I have
already read (i.e. the default). Then only articles listed are the new
ones. That makes it very clear what is new ;-) But you lose the context,
of course.

How did you get the clear idea with slrn?

> Also, my way of working is to write articles, but only post them after
> I've reviewed them.  I haven't yet acquired skills enough to do that
> with Gnus.
>
> I know it's possible to save them as drafts and send them later, but I'd
> like to distinguish between partially written messages from messages
> queued for delivery.

This might not be useful to you eiter, but you can queue messages for
sending later - they will be stored in a different group than drafts,
and automatically sent at the time you specifify (or after the interval
you specify).

I really like that feature - maybe it can be adapted for you purpose?

Details:

 · http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_36.html#Delayed-Articles

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "In summary, everything is terrible."                        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk