Re: on automatic gnus-summary-insert-new-articles after posting

From: Winston
Subject: Re: on automatic gnus-summary-insert-new-articles after posting
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 10:37:22 -0400

Robert Girault <r@dev.null> writes:
> This brings me to a point I've been trying to set up Gnus for.  I'd like
> to keep, for a while, a history of everything I wrote.  ...

> When I enter a group, I feel lost.  I think it's slrn that I've used in
> the past.  When I'd enter a news group, I'd have a clear idea of what's
> happening --- which threads are growing and which are not.

Some adjustments you could try to see if they help:

(setq gnus-use-cross-reference t)
(setq gnus-thread-indent-level 2)
(setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-subject))

I find that sorting threads by subject does a decent job of putting
related articles together, even when their original context is no longer
in the article summary.

Next, use Gnus article scoring to highlight articles you've posted and
replies to them:

* Increase score in all newsgroups on articles "From" you (<r@dev.null>)

and

* Increase score in all newsgroups on articles with "References" that
  include "fsf@dev.null>"

The easiest way to do that is usually to start by going to an article
you posted.

The scoring rules should end up in News/all.SCORE and (depending on what
you left in the string to match on) might look something like:

(("from"
  ("r@dev\\.null" 1000 nil r))