Re: nnimap-split-download-body removed?

From: Bodertz
Subject: Re: nnimap-split-download-body removed?
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 01:46:46 -0700

> Continuing our baseless speculation without looking at the code... I
> wonder if it would be even possible to do this: it would require
> either running splitting twice (once to split simpler messages, and
> return a list of messages that needed further downloading and
> re-splitting), or pausing in the middle of splitting to download
> messages.

Yeah, I really don't understand much of the code.
`nnimap-split-incoming-mail' runs before `nnimap-fetch-inbox', so that
might be the place which would need to be altered so that it first
fetches the new article's headers with a new function like
`nnimap-fetch-inbox' but which just ignores `nnimap-split-download-body'
and then split those, but then `nnmail-split-it' would need to somehow
know not to split messages which operate on the body.  So that seems
complicated.

Maybe having the function given in the `(: function)' split do the work
of downloading the message would be easier.  I don't know if that's
possible, though.

> Anyway, let me send in a bug report for the simpler change.

Thanks for that.

> I'll mention your other request, and see if anyone else has a point of
> view.

Thanks for that as well.