Re: Configuration example for mbsync + dovecot + Gnus

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Configuration example for mbsync + dovecot + Gnus
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 10:30:23 -0800

Garjola Dindi <garjola@garjola.net> writes:

> On Mon 25-Jan-2021 at 17:31:14 +01, Eric Abrahamsen
> <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>> Garjola Dindi <garjola@garjola.net> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to move from a nnmaildir + OfflineIMAP configuration to
>>> something which:
>>>
>>> 1. scales better for large number of messages than nnmaildir and
>>> 2. does not use OfflineIMAP (Python 2 based and sometimes slow).
>>>
>>> I understand that some Gnus users use a local IMAP server with dovecot
>>> and the nnimap backend.
>>>
>>> I found these interesting instructions here:
>>>
>>> https://ericabrahamsen.net/tech/2014/oct/gnus-dovecot-lucene.html
>>
>> I'm still using this setup! You didn't say what was going wrong, but
>> here's a sample config block for one of my IMAP accounts:
>
> Thanks for your answer!
>
> With respect to the 2014 post, for the mbsync part, I had to change
>
> ,----
> | UseIMAPS no
> | UseTLSV1 no
> `----
>
> to this
>
> ,----
> | SSLType IMAPS
> | SSLVersions TLSv1.2
> `----
>
> and also add the port as you have in the example you just gave.
>
> And now I also see that for the local dovecot, you have
>
> ,----
> | AuthMechs LOGIN
> `----
>
> which was not the case in the blog post. This may be why I was getting
> an authentication failure.

Looks like it's time to update the blog post...

> I will try again with this updated configuration (my next scheduled
> session to play with this is next week-end!).
>
> Do you remember having also updated dovecot.conf or other things?

I tried to keep dovecot as bog-standard as possible. The only changes I
made to dovecot.conf were to set the location of the password file and
where to store mail, and most importantly to turn on full-text search.
Then there was the passwd file itself.

I think that was it!

Eric